Friday, August 12, 2005

 
Stephanie (my roommate) and I started a running program 4 weeks (?) ago. It's a very basic program just to get you use to running for longer periods of times and longer distances. It takes you from walking to running a constant 30 minutes. It seemed like a good idea to us. Running is a cheap form of exercise, is readily accessible, and although I have never really LIKED running at all, I really wanted to enjoy it.

Things have been going fairly well. We get up four mornings a week (MWFSa), and do whatever the time is for that week, which is a combination of x minutes of running, y minutes of walking, for z amount of cycles to equal 30 minutes. I've actually really enjoyed it. While running I usually beat myself up mentally over the fact that I'm actually putting myself through it, but afterward I am pretty proud of myself and actually look forward to the next time we run.

(Let it be known at this point that I have never been athletic. Music has always been my forte, or at least something I was semi-good at. My brother was the football player and track athlete. I tried out for tennis my freshman year, played for two weeks, and then got cut. I hate, hate, hate physical activity. I've never been good at it, therefore I hate to do it in order to get better. Things, however, are changing.)

So this week we are on running 8 minutes, walking 2 minutes, and doing that cycle 3 times. we are lucky enough to have a huge city park behind our house, so lately we have run two cycles in the park, and then end up on the city street and run toward home. This morning I was doing fine. I have figured out that if I think about other things it takes my mind off how much more I have to run. I get side splints (is that what they're called?) and so I do what the book told me: because I get them in my right side I breathe out forcible when my left foot hits the ground. I can't do that breathing every step because I can't breathe in fast enough, so I end up with this funny rhythm pattern that I've mindlessly written a few songs to in my head.

Anyway! This journal entry is really about the fact of how crappy I felt after running this morning. I've been beating myself up because I quit 30 seconds before the end, and started walking, but by the time I got back to the house I knew why. I felt like I was going to throw up. I stood around in the bathroom for about 15 minutes, decided I was finally okay enough to get in the shower, but then had to get out early (and quickly) because I thought I was going to puke in the shower. However, after I got out I was fine, went to work and haven't felt sick. I'm completely weirded out by this.

Bless any of you who actually read this whole thing. I just needed to write it all out.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?