Thursday, January 29, 2004

 
I was killing some time by looking around on ebay today before class, when i found something interesting.

I bought a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird last fall at Powell's (which is a large, large independent new and used bookstore here) and it was 15 bucks. I didn't really pay attention to editions and printings, it just looked old, said "1960" in the front, and was hardcover, which was what i wanted.

So i'm looking around today, and see a book that is first edition, 21st impression, on ebay. And it was selling for 50 bucks (at least that's what the bid was up to). I assume that my edition is first because it says copyright 1960 and there is no other note on that page about it being a second or third or whatever edition.

I continue on down the line and there is a book that is exactly like mine (except frankly, mine's jacket looks better), fourteenth impression, blah blah blah. Lo and behold, the person is selling it for two hundred bucks!! Granted, nobody's buying for two hundred bucks, but GEEZ!! i had no idea.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?