Saturday, May 03, 2003

 
I wrote this on the vagrant board. This evening was SO nice after a long, non-stop day.

April and I went to see her tonight. I love this lady, simply for the honest, open music that she writes.

First off- it's at a church. We get there.. and i'll just admit that i was being judgmental and looking at all the little church ladies with their 15 year old daughters who have frosted hair, and they're all in their little gap outfits, dragging along their husbands in polo shirts.

But start that concert, i totally put that behind me. Andrew Peterson opened... funny funny guy- i loved his set, and i cry some. He was really good and i think i'm gonna get some of his stuff. He even poked good fun at the dove awards, which gives him an A+ in my book.

But then Nichole. Cute little Nichole who is 6 and a half months pregnant. Playing the piano with her little pregnant self.

Anyway- I am amazed at this woman. I cried through half the songs, and i completely identify with most of the stuff she sings. I have always been amazed at her truthfulness in songwriting, in her confusion and her frustration. Before almost every song she shared where the song came from, and it was wonderful. She shared about how Christians get comfortable in bubbles, and in our cute little churches, and in our Christian culture feeding us. She talked about how Christians should take better care of the environment. She's just a wonderful, humble speaker.

The way she ended the concert was the best. She told about a story she had read about Rich Mullins when he was ten. In short- Rich had played a song at church, and his piano teacher asked him how it went. "oh really good. Really good. They loved it, they thought I was great", he replied. And she responded: Then you failed. And proceeded to tell him that when you play in church, you should point to God, not to yourself (and lead people to look at/for God). That has stuck with Nichole, and she said she hoped we had been pointed there tonight.

She ended the evening with "I didn't write either of these songs but i really admire the songwriters for their honesty at this point in their lives, in the seeking"

And she did a WONDERFUL combination of "Still Haven't Found What I"m Looking For" with "Open the Eyes of My Heart Lord", ending with her leading us all in "O Come Let Us Adore Him", sneaking off stage during the last stanza.

Anyway- it was an amazing evening. It is really refreshing to have a CCM-type artist who sits down humbly at a piano and spells out their struggles, and honestly shares their view on things, and incorporates that into their music, while still pointing to God.

"I don't mind if you've got something nice
to say about me
And i enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
of all the who's whos and so and so's
that used to be the best
At such and such..it wouldn't matter much


I won't lie, it feels alright
to have your name in lights
We all need an 'atta boy' or 'atta girl'
But in the end i'd like to
hang my hat on more than
the temporary trappings of the world


I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I chose to love?
DId i point to You
Enough to make a mark on things
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace
who blessed Your name
unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy"
-Nichole

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?